Tuesday, March 16, 2010

The Lord's Prayer

"Our father who art in heaven..."

YES

Don't interrupt me, I'm praying...

BUT YOU CALLED ME

Called you? I didn't call you. I'm praying...


"Our father who art in heaven..."

THERE YOU DID AGAIN

Did what?

CALLED ME. YOU SAID,"OUR FATHER WHO ART IN HEAVEN". HERE I AM, WHAT'S ON YOUR MIND?

But I didn't mean anything by it. I was, you know, just saying some prayers for the day. I always say the Lord's Prayer. It makes me feel good, kind of like getting a duty done.

ALL RIGHT, GO ON.

"Hallowed be Thy name..."

HOLD IT, WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY THAT?

By what?

BY "HALLOWED ME THY NAME"?

It means ... it means, good grief, I don't know what it means. How should I know?
It's just part of the prayer. By the way, What does it mean?

IT MEANS HONOURED, HOLY WONDERFUL.

Hey, that makes sense. I never thought what hallowed, meant before.

"Thy Kingdom come, Thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven..."

DO YOU REALLY MEAN THAT?

Sure, why not?

WHAT ARE YOU DOING ABOUT IT?

Doing, Nothing, I guess. I think it would be kind of neat if YOU got control of everthing down here like you have up there.

HAVE I GOT CONTROL OF YOU?

Well, I go to church.

THAT ISNT WHAT I ASKED YOU. WHATS ABOUT YOUR BAD TEMPER? YOU REALLY HAVE A PROBLEM THERE, YOU KNOW. ANG WHAT ABOUT THE KIND OF BOOKS YOU READ?

Stop picking on me! I'm just as good as some of the rest of these phonies at the church.

EXCUSE ME. I THOUGHT YOU WERE PRAYING FOR MY WILL TO BE DONE. IF THAT IS TO HAPPEN, IT WILL HAVE TO START WITH THE ONES WHO ARE PRAYING FOR IT, LIKE YOU, FOR EXAMPLE.

Oh all right. I guess I do have some hangups. Now that you mention it, I could probably name some others.

SO COULD I.

I haven't thought about it very much until NOW, but really would like to vut out some of the things. I would like, you know, to be really free.

GOOD... NOW YOU ARE GETTING SOMEWHERE. WE'LL WORK TOGETHER, YOU AND I, SOME VICTORIES CAN TRULY BE WON ... I'M PROUD OF YOU.

Look, Lord I need to finish up here. This is taking a lot longer than it usually does.

"Give us this day our daily bread."

YOU NEED TO CUT OUT THE BREAD, YOU'RE OVERWEIGHT AS IT IS.

Hey, wait a minute! What is this, "Criticize Me Day" ? Here I was doing my religious duty and all of sudden You break in and remind me of all my hangups.

PRAYING IS A DANGEROUS THING. YOU COULD WIND UP CHANGED, YOU KNOW. THAT'S WHAT I AM TRYING TO GET ACROSS TO YOU, YOU CALLED ME, AND I AM HERE. IT'S TOO LATE TO STOP NOW. KEEP ON WITH YOUR PRAYING. I'M INTERESTED IN THE NEXT PART OF YOUR PRAYER.

WELL, GO ON...

I'm scared to.

SCARED? SCARED OF WHAT?

I know what you'll say.

TRY ME AND SEE.

"Forgive our debts, as we foegive out debtors."

WHAT ABOUT BEVERLY?

See? I knew it! I knew you would bring her up! Lord, she tells lies about me, and cheated me out of some money. She never paid back that debt she owed me. I sworn to get even with her!

BUT YOUR PRAYER? WHAT ABOUT YOUR PRAYER?

I didn't mean it.

WELL, AT LEAST YOU ARE HONEST. BUT IT IS NOT MUCH FUN CARRYING THAT LOAD OF BITTERNESS AROUND INSIDE YOU, IS IT?

No, but I'll feel better as soon as I get even. Boy, have I got some plans for old Beverly!

She'll wish she never didi me harm!

YOU WON'T FEEL ANY BETTER. YOU'LL FELL WORSE. REVENGE ISN'T SWEET. THINK HOW HAPPY YOU ALREADY ARE. BUT I CAN CHANGE ALL THAT.

You can? How?

FORGIVE BEVERLY. THEN I WILL FORGIVE YOU. THE HATE AND SIN WILL BE BEVERLY'S PROBLEM AND NOT YOURS. YOU MAY LOSE MONEY, BUT YOU HAVE SETTLED YOUR HEART.

But Lord, I can't forgive Beverly.

THEN I CAN'T FORGIVE YOU.

Oh, you're right. Any more that I want revenge on Beverly. I want to be right with you (pause-sigh). All right, I forgive her. Help her to find the right road i the life Lord.

<>

No comments:

Post a Comment